Friday, March 26, 2010

Excuses, Excuses and Even More Excuses

One year ago on March 8th, I was released as our ward Relief Society President. 
Several months prior, Kari left home to be a college student.

"Suddenly" after 37+ years of being a wife and mom I find myself with entire days that are totally up to me on how they are filled.  No longer can I say "I'm TOO BUSY!"  No longer can I blame children, church or even part-time jobs that I can't keep the house clean, read a book, visit a neighbor, work in the yard, iron clothes, write in my journal or sew a quilt.  Now it is totally MY FAULT if productive things do not happen. 

I think maybe I liked having reasons for not doing everything I thought I should be doing.  It's quite possible that I used all those "excuses" as a crutch to hide the fact that it was ME who was choosing not to do them.  I just didn't want to take the blame.  At Ricks College our Phsychology Professor labeled it "Self Defeating Behaviors".  I could write a Masters Thesis on that one!

So here I am, 58 years old, 13 grandchildren and 7 adult children, and serving as a Primary Teacher of three 10 year old girls.  No longer can I hang the blame on someone else or onto something.  It's time to take responsibility and to take charge.

This morning I read a quote from Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin from a talk he gave in April conference 2007 titled "Life's Lessons Learned" -
As of last night my focus had been on finding a "Job", some employment that would fill up the bank account and make me happy.  Elder Wirthlin reminded me that I already have what I really want.  My Family.  It has been a blessing that I do not HAVE to work to keep us fed and sheltered - My husband has been doing that for us.  I still may find a token job out there to help fill up hours but my real job is enjoying what I have.
" I urge you to examine your life.  Determine where you are and what you need to do to be the kind of person you want to be.  Create inspiring, noble, and righteous goals that fire your imagination and create excitement in your heart.  And then keep your eye on them.  Work consistently towards achieving them."


Husband
Children and their spouses
Grand-children
And all too soon Great Grand-children

So here's to finding myself - It's already here.  I just had to get a reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment